Old Oddballs

Casandra Ann

Hello to everyone. Feel free to say hi back!
Country flag
Ha they didn't hold very much but you could get a canvass top like an Army truck...Very cute
They make a car called the Mini Moke... they used them on the prisoner series...
used a lot in the Caribbean islands in the 60's Like a mini jeep no doors roof or well heater!
Rare and sought after now!

Jesse

Love Potion # 9
Country flag
I love the old and oddball go anywhere vehicles. My all time fave is a 1956 Dodge Power wagon but on the smaller side and just for fun I like to dream about old standards like willy's jeeps but then you can explore more exotic toys. Volkswagon Things hold a place dear in my heart but the original Mercedes Unimog is the ultimate in utilitarian lol.
My car goes Beep Beep,

alta_lola

4 inch heels
Country flag
The military had some small "forward reconnascence" trucks that were about that size or smaller....were supposedly 4 X 4 but were always getting stuck & were pretty much under-powered & useless unless it was an actual road or highway....i want to say made by Bombardier but i could be mistaken? It wasn't Jeep or VW for sure....i used to chuckle everytime i saw them...."stuck? no problem! simply pick it up & put it in your pocket!"

Jesse

Love Potion # 9
Country flag
Seems like it is a Benz from a Google search, which apparently has been replace lately

Jesse

Love Potion # 9
Country flag
Or perhaps the new LUV
It might be the last and one of the least glamorous in a steady line of vehicle projects that have delivered logistics and combat trucks to the Canadian Army over the past five years, but the Light Utility Vehicle (LUV) project has the attention of leaders throughout the Canadian Armed Forces given the broad role and importance of the capability.

LUV will replace the Mercedes G-Wagon and Chevrolet Silverado, two versatile vehicles that perform multiple roles for multiple users under an array of conditions. To build the statement of requirements, the project team had to meet with various Army users, with the Army Reserve—the LUV will be their primary vehicle for both training and mission tasks—and with Air Force tactical helicopter squadrons, which use the vehicle to help secure landing zones. In addition, there’s Canadian Joint Operations Command—the Disaster Assistance Response Team will employ the LUV as will 1st Canadian Division Headquarters—and the Vice Chief’s office, which oversees health service, military police and other users.

“The complexities are pretty significant when you look at all the users,” said Major David Gottfried, an armoured officer with the Royal Canadian Dragoons who became the project director just over a year ago. “It is a pan-Canadian Armed Forces vehicle system that is going to fill some important gaps.”

The project is scheduled to go before the Defence Capability Board—a committee chaired by the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff at which project approval is sought—in early to late spring 2020. However, Gottfried will be asking industry for input through a letter of interest in early 2020. And the number of companies interested at this point could be high as many vehicle manufacturers should be able to satisfy the project’s high-level mandatory requirements

alta_lola

4 inch heels
Country flag
Or perhaps the new LUV
It might be the last and one of the least glamorous in a steady line of vehicle projects that have delivered logistics and combat trucks to the Canadian Army over the past five years, but the Light Utility Vehicle (LUV) project has the attention of leaders throughout the Canadian Armed Forces given the broad role and importance of the capability.

LUV will replace the Mercedes G-Wagon and Chevrolet Silverado, two versatile vehicles that perform multiple roles for multiple users under an array of conditions. To build the statement of requirements, the project team had to meet with various Army users, with the Army Reserve—the LUV will be their primary vehicle for both training and mission tasks—and with Air Force tactical helicopter squadrons, which use the vehicle to help secure landing zones. In addition, there’s Canadian Joint Operations Command—the Disaster Assistance Response Team will employ the LUV as will 1st Canadian Division Headquarters—and the Vice Chief’s office, which oversees health service, military police and other users.

“The complexities are pretty significant when you look at all the users,” said Major David Gottfried, an armoured officer with the Royal Canadian Dragoons who became the project director just over a year ago. “It is a pan-Canadian Armed Forces vehicle system that is going to fill some important gaps.”

The project is scheduled to go before the Defence Capability Board—a committee chaired by the Vice Chief of the Defence Staff at which project approval is sought—in early to late spring 2020. However, Gottfried will be asking industry for input through a letter of interest in early 2020. And the number of companies interested at this point could be high as many vehicle manufacturers should be able to satisfy the project’s high-level mandatory requirements
The description says it's a G wagon but also defines it as LUV as well so dunno? lol

zuzzzan

6 inch heels
Country flag
Drove a 1946 power wagon to high school. Was welding up a battery box in shop out of 1/4 plate steel one day. Shop teacher goes "Whats it for a tank." no power wagon. "Thats yours!" lol ya.
After that had a 51 willy pickup with a 283 in it. Went thru a couple transmissions with the extra power. Was a lotta fun 4 wheelin in it. Then got a 55 wagon and put a 304 with attached tranny and transfer case. More fun.
Now have a 1960 landrover 109 that Im getting ready to paint. Just found my fuel pump quit working today. The struggle continues lol.

AmyDresser

5 inch heels
Country flag
The military had some small "forward reconnascence" trucks that were about that size or smaller....were supposedly 4 X 4 but were always getting stuck & were pretty much under-powered & useless unless it was an actual road or highway....i want to say made by Bombardier but i could be mistaken? It wasn't Jeep or VW for sure....i used to chuckle everytime i saw them...."stuck? no problem! simply pick it up & put it in your pocket!"
I think you might mean the Iltis, I think that's how you spell it. Made by Bombardier and they worked but perhaps not the best. These also didn't have bomb protection on the bottom, so many of our service people were killed or injured.

AmyDresser

5 inch heels
Country flag
Going way back to the original post, I quite like the pretty lady beside the yellow Thing.

A few days ago we were driving along some roads I'd never been on before and I saw the oddest little machine. No pictures, but it was fully enclosed with front and back hatches, and had huge tires which looked like it would be completely, or partly amphibious at least. A very short wheelbase, and the tires were so large they almost touched each other. Would have been only a one or two person vehicle.

Kenna16

“Can’t resist my desires”
Country flag
Have driven the unimog, it was adapted to a fire fighting unit, found it slow but able to access difficult areas because it was so narrow. My son owned an Iltis jeep, a Canadian military version, great fun to drive but the 24 volt system made it difficult to find parts. It was licensed for highway but could barely reach 90 kph.

diamond1469

4 inch heels
Country flag
Amy was it possible a Shrep from Russian very soft tires and very short with no door just hatches Sorry I also got F in spelling butyou got my meaning

Last edited:

Jesse

Love Potion # 9
Country flag
Have driven the unimog, it was adapted to a fire fighting unit, found it slow but able to access difficult areas because it was so narrow. My son owned an Iltis jeep, a Canadian military version, great fun to drive but the 24 volt system made it difficult to find parts. It was licensed for highway but could barely reach 90 kph.

B7BCA243-7D78-46EB-A128-0C150AE2E34C.jpeg
Ya, 24 volts was and is the standard for military vehicles. Two 12 volt batteries in series. I once worked for an auto/truck shop and we got a call out and on the way back we came across an old VW Bug stranded on the road. The Bug had a hippy trying to start it to no avail/6 volt system. My boss pulled out some jumper cables and hooked up the Bug to his 24 volt battery and man oh man the engine was spinning over at 2000 rpm, yep it started in short order while the hippy jumped out flapping his arms wildly in a big panic - stop man stop u will burn it out. Fuck that was funny.
Tell the truth, I have no idea why the whole electrical system did not go up un smoke. My boss just said, well it started man.

Last edited:

Marlene

5 inch heels
Country flag
The Russian thing with the huge tires is called a Sherp. Not shrep.
There is a Canadian version that is more powerful, comfortable, and has readily available parts. They are for swampy country. Useless in BC.

Jesse

Love Potion # 9
Country flag
Drove a 1946 power wagon to high school. Was welding up a battery box in shop out of 1/4 plate steel one day. Shop teacher goes "Whats it for a tank." no power wagon. "Thats yours!" lol ya.
After that had a 51 willy pickup with a 283 in it. Went thru a couple transmissions with the extra power. Was a lotta fun 4 wheelin in it. Then got a 55 wagon and put a 304 with attached tranny and transfer case. More fun.
Now have a 1960 landrover 109 that Im getting ready to paint. Just found my fuel pump quit working today. The struggle continues lol.
Those are cool(60 Landover) or the older ones.

Casandra Ann

Hello to everyone. Feel free to say hi back!
Country flag
The G in G wagon = Gucci Nice but not as safe as I would like.. no Armour... or too light.